Re: A-2 and other matters...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Schulte from proxy7.cityweb.de on May 11, 1998 at 11:54:39:

In Reply to: Re: A-2 and other matters... posted by Cap'n Paul on May 11, 1998 at 11:20:03:

: : The 30's and 40's were a different era. It was a time when officers had their own personal tailors. Yep, the trousers were khaki, the shirt a dark pink and the coat was a dark green. They used to call the uniform "pinks and greens". And when that uniform was done away with for the ugly green one we've got now, there was a lot of cursing.
: Yes, there is a khaki-colored version of the belt that the Navy officers and chief petty officers wear with their khaki trouser/shirt uniform. The Marines wear a dark olive, worsted wool trouser with a khaki shirt so the belt is different. The thing about Indy's belts is that they seem to change from movie to movie. But you're right, his outfits appear to be based on military-style clothing of the period (less the fedora/whip). You and Michaelson have obviously got the details of the military pistols and holster information down cold. Regarding the Indy's satchel strap, I had a devil of a time trying to figure it out. Sometimes it looks brown, then in another movie it appears black. I was in an antique warehouse recently looking at furniture when I came across some farmhouse implements. Stuffed in a box was a very used horse's tack and harness. With some work and a rivet tool, I fashioned a decent looking shoulder strap out of this old leather. Being used, it looked almost black but where I cut away material I did not need, the underlying leather was a fairly fresh brown. I guess the one in ToD looks so black because it was subjected to a lot of moisture, high humidity, etc. Incidently, the old tack only cost me four bucks so that was a good buy. -CP

The guns used by Indy were all Service sidearms mainly used in WWI
(Webley also used in WWII). The Colt 'Government' 1911 is an exception
as it was also used over the following years. As far as I know the
Beretta 92F (M9) was introduced in 1990. Nevertheless the 1911 has
been recently reissued to several special units.
You were quite lucky with your satchel strap. I had mine made at a
saddlery and had to pay quite a bit. The strap IS a dark brown. It was
indeed the humidity who made it look black. I agree with you, these
items are more or less easy to make. Just a piece of leather, a buckle
and some rivets. Today I made a whip carrier out of an old rifle
sling.
Thanks for clearing the things with the uniforms up...

Regards,

-Max

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: