Re: Indy's guns and Webley thoughts....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 26, 1999 at 10:05:44:

In Reply to: Re: Indy's guns and Webley thoughts.... posted by Anejo Joe on August 25, 1999 at 21:00:14:

: There is a Webley Mk IV .38 caliber which was produced in the 1930's until the 1950's. It is smaller than the MK VI and, of course, shoots a smaller round. It will fit S&W K-frame holsters, like my US Navy shoulder holster with 12 rounds on the strap. Other than that, it has the same features as the MK VI. It comes in a 4 and 5 inch barrel and can be purchased for about $175 to $225 depending on condition. I bought one not long ago on the Auction Arms site. The MK VI and other Webley's shoot either the .455 or the .45 ACP. Modern ammo can put a strain on older guns, so it is possible that the older Webley could "shoot loose". With a .38 caliber, that shouldn't be a problem. It is a neat, old gun, but it is not the same gun as Indy's.

Actually, I have the Mk IV .38 cataloged as a police weapon up into the 1970's, so they must have stockpiled a ton of them at the factory until they were sold out. The only thing I didn't like about the Mark IV is the cylinder stop at the base of the cylinder. It's the weakest link in the entire system, completely different than the large Webleys, and if not honed to the exact space for the particular gun, the cylinder either will skip a chamber or bind up completely. Why Webley departed from the tried and true lock up of the older guns I'll never understand. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]