Hmmm...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on August 27, 1999 at 11:04:14:

In Reply to: Ok,this will be my final post regarding the wested jacket so all wested owners please give me your opinions.. posted by Kenneth. on August 27, 1999 at 07:24:20:

: Ok.I have my wested 2 days and there are various things that are bugging me and i was hoping all other wested owners could help me.
: NO1:The jacket is TOO puffy.Its all thick and puffy and dosent hang
: nicely like the one in the movies.
: No2:It is much too soft.When i wore the original at MBA it was nice
: and tough and hard.Mine is too soft and the slightest scratch of my
: nail causes a considerable mark on the jackect.I would prefer a
: rougher jacket.
: No3:this is my main problem.The sleeves are very wide and very long.
: I was wondering if the sleeves eventually "ripple" like the one
: in the movies and hence the sleeves would shorten.

: Its not important but id like to know what the rest of you think,
: especially those whove had their jackets for a while,id like to know how their jackets have changed.Its still a great jackect.
: Any comments would be appreciated.
: Cheers,
: Kenneth.

I’m going to go out on a limb on a couple of your points, so bear with me:

Point #1 – The jacket is “puffy”. I can then assume you ordered the predistressed. As such, it is made of hide rather then skin. It is not the same material as the original Raiders or ToD jackets, BUT it is the same as the LC jacket. I confirmed this with Wested that the jacket in LC was made from hide. Take a look at the motorcycle scenes, and I think you’ll agree.

Point #2 – The jacket is too soft. I thought so as well when I received mine. The truth is, however, the hide is MUCH more durable then the skin, again per the folks at Wested. I would challenge you on the fingernail test. Again, it was my perception that the material was too delicate when I first received the jacket. Time has, however, proven me wrong on that. One year later and the only wear it is showing is around the seams, which only makes it look better.

Point #3 – The sleeves are too wide. This was something I worried about a great deal when I order the jacket, that they would not be wide enough. I’m a powerlifter, and my upper arms are 21 inches. Peter gave me some extra sizing, and they fit like a glove! The rippling looks fine when I wear the jacket. I do notice however, that if I let a “normal” (my wife’s term, not mine) person wear it that the sleeves do look a bit strange, so I think I know what you mean. You may look into having them altered.

One word on the jacket at MBA; remember it is 20 years old, has been beat-up by property people with mink oil, boot polish, sandpaper, etc. Also, I would be willing to bet it doesn’t get worn regularly anymore, either. Remember that the heat and moisture from your body helps keep the leather “fed”, if you will. Also, they probably are not putting leather treatment on it a couple times every year, like you ought to be doing with your jacket. I imagine they want to leave it alone, from that standpoint as a collector item.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: