Actually, the sleeves are supposed to shrink a bit...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on August 30, 1999 at 16:11:47:

In Reply to: Re: Sorry i dident mention it but my jacket is a NEW raiders and not a predistressed(nm) posted by DeWayne on August 27, 1999 at 16:20:48:

: : : Ok.I have my wested 2 days and there are various things that are bugging me and i was hoping all other wested owners could help me.
: : : NO1:The jacket is TOO puffy.Its all thick and puffy and dosent hang
: : : nicely like the one in the movies.
: : : No2:It is much too soft.When i wore the original at MBA it was nice
: : : and tough and hard.Mine is too soft and the slightest scratch of my
: : : nail causes a considerable mark on the jackect.I would prefer a
: : : rougher jacket.
: : : No3:this is my main problem.The sleeves are very wide and very long.
: : : I was wondering if the sleeves eventually "ripple" like the one
: : : in the movies and hence the sleeves would shorten.

: : : Its not important but id like to know what the rest of you think,
: : : especially those whove had their jackets for a while,id like to know how their jackets have changed.Its still a great jackect.
: : : Any comments would be appreciated.
: : : Cheers,
: : : Kenneth.

: This sounds very strange for a new lambskin.(You did order new lambskin and not new hide, correct?). All my Westeds are skin. I can run my fingernail down mine, like I'm trying to gouge it and it doesn't leave a mark. My LC lambskin is a little thicker than the Raiders one, but it doesn't seem "puffy".
: It did take a little while for mine to start hanging nicely. Even as soft as the leather is, it's still new and needs to get broken in a little. Just give it some time.
: The sleeves on my Raiders have begun to ripple very nicely, but this has made little to no difference in the length. where does your sleeve rest on your hand. On mine it's just at the top of my pinky nuckle(where it connects to the hand obviously). I don't know what to tell ya about the width though.
: I've had my Raiders one for almost a year and it has worn nicely. I wear it every chance I get. It fits much different than my other Westeds, but only because it's so worn in and the others are not. So unless you plan on sending it back, just wear it, wear it, wear it. Hey, sleep in it if you must!
: See ya! DeWayne

Peter explained that the sleeves will tend to shorten by about 1/4 inch following a bit of wear. Apparently body heat dries the leather out a bit, causing the shrinkage.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: