Re: Anybody Speak German? Jawohl, meine Herr! (well, kinda)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sas c|:) from info.tuwien.ac.at on August 31, 1999 at 00:23:23:

In Reply to: Re: Anybody Speak German? Jawohl, meine Herr! (well, kinda) posted by Ulla on August 30, 1999 at 16:05:31:

: :
: : : The Nazi actually says "Keine Bewung"- or something like that which means "No movement", but probably, "Don't move." I was wondering that myself since he says it so much!
: : : Adventurously,
: : : Ulla

: : You may be right Ulla, I think that's what he said. I will check it tonight to be 100% sure.

: : Another thing: The phrase "Javolt, Meine Herr!" used by Max McCoy is horribly wrong written. It's "Jawohl, mein Herr!".
: : I am sorry to say this because I like his books very much but Max should have had a better editor and lecturer to get ther German sentences right.

: : sas c|:)

:
: I'm sorry, Sas c|:) !
No need to be sorry! You just remind me to put my list of German related faults from the novels online.

: Is "Javolt" really pronounced more like "Jawohl"?
There is no word "Javolt" (funny thing: "volt" is the physics unit for voltage...). It is "Jawohl" but it is normally spelled very snappy (see below) and may sound like "Javol" (but no 't').

:I noticed that in "Hollow Earth", but, to tell you the truth, what EXACTLY does "Jawohl" mean?
That's an easy on: In fact there are two words stuck together: "Ja" means "yes" and "wohl" means something like "well". The words put together make no real sense but it's the military reply if you want to say "yes". I think a good translation would be "Yes, sir!" (I German there is no "sir" because we have no word with exactly that meaning and snappy military sound...).

Class dismissed! :)

sas c|:)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: