Indy IV In The Late 50's?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thuggee Bear from host-209-214-180-64.cae.bellsouth.net on August 31, 1999 at 09:52:48:

I just saw the Indy IV update in the Cinescape that I think someone here has already mentioned. At the very end of it though, there's a quote from McCallum which basically explains how they see Indy as more of a historical series. He says the plan is to release some of the Young Indy videos and then Indy IV, and that way the viewer can follow his exploits from the early 1900's up until the late 50's. I have two problems with this.

First, I really hope they don't set Indy IV that close to the present time. Basically because it would really diminish part of the fantasy of the stories, as they always seem to include lots of references or things from the time period Indy is in. For example, I'd really hate to watch Indy, say, enter a room with a television playing in the background. I know part of the problem is that they are probably thinking that the audience wouldn't buy another Indy film set earlier, now that Harrison's older.

People don't take into account that 60 is not the age that it used to be. 40 used to be the milestone for "old age", yet now it's nothing to see a famous rock star or actor who is over 50, and showing no signs of slowing down. If people don't shut up about Ford's age, I'm afraid they're going to set Indy IV in 1976!

The other thing is that I'm really not crazy about turning Indy into a history lesson. I went to see Temple of Doom for the escapism, not hoping to learn more about the infamous stranglers of Bombay, or to pick up some pointers on Hinduism. When I finished watching Raiders I wanted to fight nazis and swing over pits, not sit around and discuss theology.

This is probably why I never really got into the YIJC, because it didn't seem very likely that he would've met nearly all of the important historical figures of his time. We've never had to sit through any lectures on science or the universe in a Star Wars film, so why should Indy be turned into a history lesson?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]