Re: Indy Jones vs. Lara Croft

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Northlander from dialup1-28.uplogon.com on May 13, 1998 at 20:24:27:

In Reply to: Indy Jones vs. Lara Croft posted by Khyber Faulk on May 12, 1998 at 15:12:48:

: First of all, I agree wholeheartedly with those who say that Tomb Raider borrows a lot from the Indiana Jones films (there's no doubt about that, even the game developers have freely admitted this), but should there really be conflict between the two?

: I believe the Lara Croft character is so popular due to her...ah...assets, and also because she is essentially a 90's Indiana Jones (with some James Bond added in, with her nationality). The (former) "real-life" Lara Croft (Rhona Mitra, a friend of mine) agrees with this.

: Anyway, let's see how the upcoming "Tomb Raider" movie turns out. If nothing else, it should fire back up the Indiana Jones franchise (which would make the next Indy movie even more anticipated).

: Best,

: Khy

Tomb Raider borrows from Indy, of course, but it is also original in many other respects. I think they really did make a wonderful character with Lara (although they seem to be hell-bent on ruining her, but that's another story...) and you're right, there is also a James Bond element mixed in. Interestingly enough, Steven Spielberg had told George Lucas he was interested in directing a James Bond film when Lucas brought up his idea for Indy and discussed it with him.

From the sounds of the Tomb Raider movie, it won't be anything to get ecited over: the man signed to write the script is the same man responsible for 'writing' the movie Mortal Kombat 2. Yikes.

I also agree with the statement that the rivalry between Indy and TR fans is silly. Indy fans have nothing to fear from Lara, and vice-versa. They are similar enough that they can be compared (loosely) to one another, but different enough that they are each fun in their own fashion.

-Northy-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]