A clarification about what I meant...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on September 02, 1999 at 03:42:38:

In Reply to: Re: Does it really matter? posted by Sean Dodge on September 02, 1999 at 01:17:32:

When I said that the fans could not be blamed if they disregard any Indy story that's not from the movies, I didn't mean to imply that I disregard them myself. Even though I don't like "Young Indy," I can't deny that it is part of the Indiana Jones story especially since Lucas had such a large part in its creation.
What I meant by my earlier post is that if you look closely at the whole Indy story you would find the contributions of a lot of writers; three separate guys for the novels, different writers for all the movies, more writers for the computer games, writers for the comics, writers for the "Young Indy" novels and the series. That's a lot of people with their hands in this story. All of them are licensed by Lucasfilm but I doubt that Lucas has a direct hand in all of them. Each writer was probably given the same set of guidelines that the writers of the "Star Wars" novels are given; that they must leave the character as they found him. However they would be under no obligation to familiarize themselves with all the other incarnations of the Indy story. So if Max McCoy is writing a novel he would not have to be careful that his story didn't contridict with something from one of the MacGregor books or with the comics or computer game so long as he followed the directive that he was given.
With that in mind and considering how many different people have contributed to our enjoyment of the Indy story, no single, definitive chronology could cover the entire Indy canon. Even the one that you linked to on the web I doubt Lucas would fully agree with. For instance I don't think he ever had in mind that Indy was aboard the Titanic.
In the end I think we can enjoy the Indy stories in all their incarnations and that the continuity is only important on a smaller scale. The movies should follow the continuity of the movies, the novels should not contridict the films but should be free to contridict other novels by other writers, etc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]