Re: A clarification about what I meant...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Dodge(FKA Nick Kismet) from 207.173.204.132 on September 02, 1999 at 22:41:48:

In Reply to: A clarification about what I meant... posted by ROB T. on September 02, 1999 at 03:42:38:

Funny that you should mention that regarding the writers of the novels.
The chronologic flow of the novel series would seem to support the notion that the writers were at least paying attention to each other...
Until McCoy that is. Even though Martin Caidin deviated in his interpretation of Indy's character he kept the Jack Shannon character alive and added some of his own. McCoy threw them all out the window, even going so far as to have Indy state "I've never been married" in direct contradiction to Seven Veils.
McCoy also ignored the movies and the YIJC by eliminating Indy's skill with languages in favor of some comedy refief and repeatedly stating in "Dino's Eggs" that Indy's eyes are brown. Help me out here, but it sure looks to me like Ford has blue eyes.
Anyway, in some respects these errors don't really hurt the series too much. They are just aspects of the interpretation. When writing Golden Voyage, which I made a great but futile effort to add to the "official" canon, I used the Indy Timeline, and tried to use elements from all the novels, even those which I didn't care for. I made reference to Indy's time teaching in London (from the MacGregor novels) and to his skill with languages, specifically Russian, which he spoke in the Stalingrad episode of YIJC.
In many ways, it is a good idea for a writer to examine the works of others when developing his own interpretation of an established character. That was the mistake Martin Caidin made...many Indyfans felt like Caidin had not even seen the movies, because his Indy was so far off the beam.
Anyway, I do understand what you're trying to say Rob. I just wish there were more Indy novels & etc to have to work with when sorting this out.
The best action hero ever conceived ought to have a huge library of adventures.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]