How do we feel about Lara Croft?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Dodge from 207.173.204.175 on September 03, 1999 at 14:27:07:

I know that opinion on the forum is pretty much divided on this subject.
Many feel that the Tomb Raider game is a rip off of Indy. Others, like me, will take their adventure anywhere they can get it.
For what it's worth, I passed on Tomb Raider for several years--I usually prefer games like Myst, where the action level is surpassed by the challenge of solving riddles. (Not unlike Fate of Atlantis, or another adventure game with Indy-esque overtones The Riddle of Master Lu- Ripley's Believe it or Not)
I only got into tomb because I got a chance to get Tomb 3 for free.
I fell in love with the game (not just the girl) and decided to get the other games in the series. I now have Tomb Gold, and will get Tomb 2 Gold and Tomb IV as soon as they are released.
The adventure stories in these games (esp. Tomb 1) are pretty solid. I've seen a lot of negative reveiws about 2 & 3, and I can't really comment as I am only on the first level of 3 and I can't tell if the story is going to develop or not.
But my point is this. These are good adventure story/games in the tradition of Indy, and I see no reason why we should villify them simply because they try to emmulate the classics.
But then I've never really had a favorite football team, so maybe I don't understand competitive human nature very well.
If you can present the opposite side of this, I would love to hear it.
In any event, adventure lovers have 2 things to look forward to in the near future, "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" and "Tomb Raider:Revelations"
I can feel my butt going numb in anticipation of hours of game play.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]