Wet Fedoras

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-33.COL.cableone.net on September 03, 1999 at 16:22:02:

At an earlier posting someone asked about getting a fedora wet in the rain. I have a Nostalgia that has been my constant companion on backpacking trips, along with hunting and fishing trips. It has gotten wet countless times and is still in good shape. I noticed that after getting soaked a few times it seemed to shrink a bit, not so much at the sweat band, but rather at the top of the crown. So they will shrink over time and the best recourse is to get them reblocked. There is a way though to really extend the time span before you have to do this. I do two primary things to all of my hats now. First I take out the liner and spray the inside of the crown with a hat stiffener. Of course I have to be happy with the shape before I do this as the stiffener will really help keep this shape. Second, I spray Scotch Guard all over the outside of the hat. I put mine on moderately. This stuff works wonders! Not only does it really repel water, but dirt as well. Since doing this my nostalgia has never been soaked and my head has been drier. I have done this to my White repro and will do it also to my HJ when I get one. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]