Re: US-wings whips

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on September 08, 1999 at 08:08:22:

In Reply to: Re: US-wings whips posted by D.Borton on September 07, 1999 at 23:44:57:

: : Does anyone here have any prior experience or opinions dealing with the basic 'Indy' style whips offered by US Wings? Forgetting the fact that they arent 'THE' Indy whips, are they at least on par with David Morgans whips from a performance standpoint?? Is the basic construction acceptable? I'm not really considering buying one, but I was just curious. (I'm sure you've heard this question a thousand times.)
: : :-)

:
: Dietrick, If I am not mistaken US Wings gets most of their bullwhips from Mark Allen. (http://www.mark-allen.com)
: Mark Allen's company is highly respected and very well known in the Wild West Arts circle. They offer high quality kangaroo hide whips that are well made and handle very well. The "Indy" version they offer is also a very close copy of David Morgan's. Even though your not planning to buy one, If you feel the David Morgan whip is just a little too pricey, I would recommend Marks Allen's as probably your next best option. Hope this helps.

: Dan

I whole-heartedly agree with Dan. I live fairly close to David Morgan's store, and would stop in from time to time, agonizing over the price of his whips. I was not able to find anything that came close in appearance or quality of construction for a better price. Then I stumbled across Mark Allen's web site. I called them up and they were very helpful. I checked around, and they do have a superb reputation within the "cowboy arts" community.

I eventually purchased a 10-foot Indy-style whip from them - I think I could have gotten away with an 8 foot, in that the 10 foot has more coils when wrapped then the one I see in Raiders. Regardless, it cost $350 vs. $495 - hey, the difference is nearly a pair of Alden’s! The 8-foot was $300.

The shipping was less then $10, as I recall. I had the whip in less then 4 days. The only inaccuracy is the "bulb" at the end of the handle is shaped a bit differently. Otherwise, it is a very high quality kangaroo whip with a plaited belly.

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]