Actually, the real thing has already passed...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on September 08, 1999 at 10:26:21:

In Reply to: ALL ATTENTION HERE! Quick! posted by Marty McFly on September 08, 1999 at 09:47:22:

: Hey guys, tomorrow will be Sept. 9, 1999, and I know hows to fix it! For all PC owners, go to Start, then Settings, then Control Panel.. there is a thing that says Date and Time or something. You can change the date so it never reaches Sept. 9, 1999. and even make it four digits!!! I am talking about, the date will read 9/9/99 and the computer will think that is the last date or something and screw up. so i am thinking of cheating and keep on setting the time OVER or BEFORE that date to never even touch it. and you can even make four digits for Y2K.. its kind of confusing.. well see ya's, Shorty/McFly.
: "I invented a time machine to travel through time!" -Doc, BTTF II

Computers look at dates in different ways. 9/9/99 is actually stored in one of two ways - either as a serial date (36,412) or a julien (spelling?) date (99251). The serial is the number of days elapsed since January 1, 1900. The julien is parsed; the first two digits being the year (99) and the last three being the number of days elapsed in the year (251).

It is the Julian date that has everybody scared, THEREFORE, the date that had everyone who was really plugged-in ready for a mini-Y2K was the 99th day of 1999, 4/9/99. Nothing happened.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: