OK, I'm dying to know what you found on US Authentic...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on September 08, 1999 at 12:43:34:

In Reply to: Re: Regarding U.S. Authentic jacket posted by Michaelson on September 08, 1999 at 10:47:20:

: : I checked out the jacket being offered by these folks at Indy Gear and was amazed at the purchase price. In my opinion at that price it should be autographed by Harrison himself! If I ever decide to purchase a jacket, it will surely be purchased from Wested. They offer one at a price that doesn't scream "rip off" This makes me wonder about the motivation of the folks that sell the HJ fedora. Wonder if anyone knows whom their supplier is for the Poet? Don't they just buy it from a hatmaker and add the amenities? I am sure it is a mass produced hat with no custom fit offered. Its worth is probaly around $100.00, but I guess since it is the brand Indy wore this inflates the price. But then again the English obviously buy this hat from this shop, and I doubt if all of them are seeking to have a fedora like Indy's. It just seems way out of line, that's all I'm stating. I guess I am just griping because I am gonna buy an HJ this Xmas and eventhough I want one badly, I am still miffed at the price!I just hope it is what I expect it to be. If not, then I will have to buy my future hats from Gary White. Sorry to run on but I feel like I am bending over and offering no resistance in this international ****. Well perhaps you get the point. Steve

: Never having owned a HJ, I can only offer the following opinion...the HJ shop is one of those Crown certified shops that pretty much sells to the aristocracy of the British Empire. The prices seem to reflect this fact on all their goods, though from all that I've read from the forum, as well as friends who do own a HJ, the quality is indeed there and well worth the price for a high end quality fedora of top drawer hand made features, as you mention in your message. Granted, they just MIGHT be lower in price if they just handled the common requests, such as ours, but then that's not the clientel they work for. Peter Botwright, on the other hand, takes care of whom ever walks through his door, literally or through technology. He is there to serve the wants and needs of his customer, no matter where on that so called ladder one seems to stand on, if you subscribe to that sort of thing. I've been pretty well shocked at the prices we see here in the US for the items made here, that are reproductions of the actual items, not originals, and yet they charge almost twice the cost of the true items. Personally I think Mike White is WAY out of line on his fedora price wise, but as I said before, this is only my opinion. The US Authentic was an item that was offered on IndyGear for comparison to Indyfans so to see what was available out there for sale, and give a reasonable comparison between prices point by point. As you saw, Wested, even with customs charges figured in for overseas shipping, is heads and shoulders above the USA jacket, though the USA may have a faster turnaround time for delivery. This is only conjucture on my part, as we have found no one who actually has taken delivery for this jacket, nor has anyone been able to get their hands on a jacket for study. Since this comparison was made, John has learned additional information regarding this company that just didn't sit well with us, and pulled the page back down until further investigations are made. IndyGear is only interested in giving the IndyFan the total picture regarding the items shown. As I said, all this is my opinion, but hope it helps. Regards. Michaelson

I've had discussions with them in the past about supplying jackets in bulk for award use. I dropped the discussions with them, as I didn't feel comfortable with some minor but conflicting information. The customer references were also less then convincing.

I will understand if you don't feel comfortable discussing, but I'm really just DYING to know what you've found.

By the way, you ought to be getting that Wested today or tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: