INDY TRILOGY on laserdisc -- the official word

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from 12.29.96.50 on September 10, 1999 at 17:32:26:

Ok, so everyone is boo-hooing about how the INDY trilogy is not being released onto DVD just quite yet. As current sources say, the three films and episodes of the Young Indy TV series are readied for VHS.

So, what about those laserdisc owners out there? What EXACTLY is going on with them? As a laserdisc owner and fan, I had to know...

I contacted a representative from Paramount Home Video. The laserdisc releases -- which, for you picky ones out there, will be the "best" quality format in which to find the films, in the absence of a DVD release -- are being produced by Pioneer through a licensing arrangement with Paramount.

I called Pioneer, and spoke with their public relations representative. Though not in stone -- I was informed that the "official word from Lucasfilm was yet to be given to (us at) Pioneer" -- he told me that yes, the remastered versions of the films (which have been available in widescreen format on laserdisc for several years) will be available on laserdisc on or around the time of October 26th. Contrary to popular belief (and as had been reported on DVD.COM), the laserdisc reissues WILL feature the supplementary features that the VHS rereleases will contain. (This includes commentaries by Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford.)

Unlike the STAR WARS special edition set and the GODFATHER series, the three Indy films will not be available as a three-box laserdisc set, but separate. (The VHS versions, however, WILL have a special set package of the trilogy and a young Indy episode.) As well, the YOUNG INDY episodes will only be available on VHS.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]