Re: INDY TRILOGY on laserdisc -- the official word

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil S. Bulk from proxy-351.public.rwc.webtv.net on September 13, 1999 at 06:36:05:

In Reply to: Re: INDY TRILOGY on laserdisc -- the official word posted by Adam on September 11, 1999 at 23:58:08:

I pre ordered the discs from Ken Cranes. You can call them at 1-800-624-3078. They are just about the only place I know of where you can still get lasers. They also discount them 20%. The new Indy discs will have the interviews as wll as 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks. However, they were not listed as being THX ceritfied discs.

By the way, your definition of THX is a little off. Look at THX Laser Discs, Tapes and DVD's as just having a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, that's it. There is no such thing as "THX sound" on any of those formats. All THX gurantees is that the picture and sound have met certain criteria (ie. frequency response, color saturation). They actually just enforce standards that are supposed to be followed. That's it. Not a format like Dolby or DTS, just a gurantee that they monitored the creation of whatever media you are watching.

Neil

: Yes, the films have been remastered for sound as well as digital picture. The original laser releases, which came out around 1991-1992, I think, looked beautiful compared to all other releases at the time, but now a digital output as opposed to a telecine output should make the picture even sharper.

: As with the STAR WARS special edition, all films will be for THX certified format. (For those of you who don't know, THX represents a style of sound projection and sound output, and not production recording.) There's no audio commentary track throughout the film, only the supplement interviews after.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]