Re: INDY TRILOGY on laserdisc -- the official word

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from 12.29.96.50 on September 13, 1999 at 09:55:00:

In Reply to: Re: INDY TRILOGY on laserdisc -- the official word posted by Neil S. Bulk on September 13, 1999 at 06:36:05:

: I pre ordered the discs from Ken Cranes. You can call them at 1-800-624-3078. They are just about the only place I know of where you can still get lasers. They also discount them 20%. The new Indy discs will have the interviews as wll as 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks. However, they were not listed as being THX ceritfied discs.

: By the way, your definition of THX is a little off. Look at THX Laser Discs, Tapes and DVD's as just having a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, that's it. There is no such thing as "THX sound" on any of those formats. All THX gurantees is that the picture and sound have met certain criteria (ie. frequency response, color saturation). They actually just enforce standards that are supposed to be followed. That's it. Not a format like Dolby or DTS, just a gurantee that they monitored the creation of whatever media you are watching.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Neil, but I'm afraid you are wrong. In some respects. I was referring to THX SOUND SYSTEM, not certification. THX is far, far more than just a stamp of approval; THX was formed primarily as a high-quality sound presentation format for theaters. A THX SOUND laser/video means that the sound mastering has been formatted and approved for this special system of performance. When you go into a theater and see the THX logo before the film it means the theater is equipped, and the film is delivered, in such a format. It may differ from SDDS, etc.

The "stamp of approval" of THX is actually a certification by THX staff in making sure the film's projection meets the standards set. So in this case, you are right in referring to "THX certification". I was referring to THX SOUND.

I work with a professional film sound company, and deal with these guys all the time, so I'm not making this up...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]