Amen brother!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from global.mactemps.com on September 13, 1999 at 12:19:49:

In Reply to: Re: The 1920s/1930s posted by Steve on September 13, 1999 at 07:11:02:

: : I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who'd rather carry a pocket watch. I've always loved them and I'd like to get a great antique one someday. Right now I just have a cheap one ("ten dollars from a vendor in the street") but I've been keeping my eyes open for a good one.

: : I'd still rather live in this time than in Indy's but there are definately things about that era that are better than now. I love how in that time they took pride in their craftmenship. Stuff now is built to be tossed out. I don't own a single thing I bought new in the nineties that I'll be able to pass down to my future grandchildren like a great watch.
: : Someday I'd like to have a beautiful pocketwatch and a great rolltop desk but I'll have to go antique on them both because they just don't make stuff like that anymore. Not with any eye toward lasting beauty anyway.
: : But at the same time I'd rather live in a time with indoor plumbing, air conditioning, efficient cars, competent medical care and the Internet.

:
: Yes indoor plumbing is great. I say this with a strong conviction because I can actually remember when we had outdoor facilities back in the mid 50's down here in the south. Heck, I didn't see my first inside bathroom until I was 10 years old. To add a bit of local color, we referred to these outdoor privys as "johnny houses". Toilet paper was usually a Sears catalog. I'm not kidding! I experienced my first air conditioner when I was 18 years old. So I can say that I know what living without these amenities is like. But with that being said, I must admit that I would trade the present for that era without even giving it any thought. I am here to tell you that we as a culture are sadly lacking in something that we had back in those days. Character. I see very little of this any more. A man's word was of the upmost importance. And if you called someone a s.o.b. you had better be ready to fight. Those days have gone the way of the dodo bird. I could go on and on. I absolutely detest and hate the times that we are living in. We have so much technology but very little of what is really important. Anybody got a time machine they need to test? The line starts behind me. Steve

I'm next!

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: