Strap

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts2-h1-50-34.ispmodems.net on September 14, 1999 at 20:45:52:

In Reply to: Re: Here is the buckle! posted by Abner on September 14, 1999 at 20:25:13:

: : : To me this buckle from John Dinkhun looks just like the one in the film! I'll try and find out where he got it. I'll also check out Tandy Leather, too. Thanks, DeWayne.

: : : Cheers,
: : : Abner

: :
: : Hello, that's my strap and buckle. I got the buckle at a shoe repair shop. Its off of a pair of sandals, and is really thin and lightweight.At first I thought it was too "cheapy" to use, but now I like it better than some of the cast buckles I have. It measures about 1 1/8" (leather is 1" wide) across the opening, but the buckle is completely flat, so the leather binds against itself, and the strap stays put. I keep trying to find more, but I haven't had any luck yet. Square buckles are common, but most are too wide and too thick. #4032 from the picture is real close to the buckle I have, but looks thicker (I hope the pic loaded :-)> ).

: : I'm lucky to have a working leather shop 5 miles from my house. They make belts, bags, saddles, holsters, almost all custom work. Its really a great resource to have. I've dyed all my straps on both sides, without ruining any shirts. All you have to do is dye the back (rough) side lightly, then rub the hell out of it with a towel after its dry. It really doesn't take that long, and working the leather that way makes it soft and flexible. Also, don't oil the rough side, it most likely leave a mark on you shirt if you do.

: : If anyone needs a strap, I can talk to the shop and find out if they'll do mail orders.

: : Also, this is a good site to look at for buckles, they've got one that looks like the raiders gunbelt, but without metal keeper.

: : http://www.aac-fashion.com/fashion-buckles-s.htm

: : Thanks

: : John D

: I found the same link looking for buckles at http://www.umei.com/ last week! Your buckle is symmetrical, however, and this one is not. I would defintitely be interesting in trying to get a buckle (and strap) from the shop you mentioned.

: Cheers,
: Abner

I'll go to the shop tomorrow and ask them about the straps, and I'll see if they have any similar buckles. I'll post the info asap. I'd post the number now, but I can't find it at the moment.

I'll let you know,

John D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: