Re: I don't understand George Lucas at all...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from iah17-133.barrie.connex.net on September 20, 1999 at 05:14:07:

In Reply to: I don't understand George Lucas at all... posted by ROB T. on September 20, 1999 at 01:51:58:

Hi:
An interesting post, but I'd like to respond:
1)Indy didn't "drag" Short Round into trouble, trouble found them. Indy actually protects Shorty from the evils of the palace at some points, witness the "shrine" scene.
Besides, it sure as hell beats letting him live as an orphan on the street.
2)L'il Skywalker was doing dangerous things long before the Jedi came around. Qui-Gonn also tells him to "Stay in that cockpit," because he knows of the danger of the impending battle. Also, he knows that this is a 9/10 year old in body only.
3)The kids in "Jurassic Park" were greeted with disdain by Allan Grant, the protaganist, and he wanted nothing to do with them. The point was made that it was a contemptible act for John Hammond to bring his grand-kids to such a potentially hazardous place.

I'm not telling you you're wrong - just offering another perspective. As for Spielberg and kids, well, that's another matter. BUT, I will defy you to find a more accurate portrayal of children than "ET" in American film. As for "Phantom Menace," well, I would have preferred if George remembered that the original trilogy appealed to children without pandering to them...gods help us for "Indy 4."
Cheers,
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: