Re: Azuma is OK

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2-external.frmt1.sfba.home.com on September 21, 1999 at 12:32:26:

In Reply to: Azuma- Are you O.K.? posted by Abner on September 21, 1999 at 08:14:15:

: As everyone knows Taipei, Taiwan has been hit with a large earthquake, and I believe that's where fellow Indyfan Azuma lives, isn't it? Needless to say, if so our hopes and prayers are with you, Azuma.

: Abner

Azuma told me in email correspondence that he was moving to the States on Sept 10 to attend college. He should be far away from any danger in Taiwan, though he may have relatives and friends that are threatened.

Earthquakes are a funny thing. Even with a large, devastating quake, there are many homes and businesses that are untouched. It all depends on what kind of ground structures are built on, how well the building is constructed, how close you are to the epicenter, and, I suppose, a little luck and divine intervention. I was in the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 (the San Francisco quake to outsiders) and our area sustained no real damage at all. In fact, the Bay Area only had pockets of really terrible destruction, almost always a result of structures built on deadly landfill. Otherwise, homes and businesses just had minor damage because the quake was centered in a relaitively rural and less populated area. Let's hope for the best in Taiwan.

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]