Re: The Bag...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on September 22, 1999 at 07:34:30:

In Reply to: The Bag... posted by HF605 on September 21, 1999 at 22:59:04:

: I received my Indy bag from WPG with the Noel Howard strap. I love it!! I only have one question for those who do have it, how long does it take before the red on the leather wont rub off onto clothing? OH and if it does, does it stain?

: HF605

YES, IT WILL RUIN WHATEVER SHIRT YOU WEAR WITH IT!

Sorry for yelling, but I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to someone else.

I tried rubbing the back side of the strap to get the excess off - it doesn't work. Add a little heat and sweat, and the dye will still leach out into your clothes.

This may sound drastic, but it does work; I used a belt sander with 150 grit paper. I secured the strap to a board with tape, pulling the strap taught. I then gently ran the sander over the back of the strap until the dye was removed. After a liberal application of Pecard dressing, the back looked good and dark. It also toned-down the red finish on the front of the strap. It turned out well.

One caution - be careful not to take off to much material. You may run the risk of the buckle not fitting the leather if it gets too thin.

Good luck!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: