Re: The Bag...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2-external.frmt1.sfba.home.com on September 22, 1999 at 17:21:27:

In Reply to: Re: The Bag... posted by Patterson on September 22, 1999 at 15:03:21:

: : : : I received my Indy bag from WPG with the Noel Howard strap. I love it!! I only have one question for those who do have it, how long does it take before the red on the leather wont rub off onto clothing? OH and if it does, does it stain?

: : : : HF605

: : : YES, IT WILL RUIN WHATEVER SHIRT YOU WEAR WITH IT!

: : : Sorry for yelling, but I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to someone else.

: : : I tried rubbing the back side of the strap to get the excess off - it doesn't work. Add a little heat and sweat, and the dye will still leach out into your clothes.

: : : This may sound drastic, but it does work; I used a belt sander with 150 grit paper. I secured the strap to a board with tape, pulling the strap taught. I then gently ran the sander over the back of the strap until the dye was removed. After a liberal application of Pecard dressing, the back looked good and dark. It also toned-down the red finish on the front of the strap. It turned out well.

: : : One caution - be careful not to take off to much material. You may run the risk of the buckle not fitting the leather if it gets too thin.

: : : Good luck!

: : : Patterson

: : Leather sealer, leather sealer! I don't understand why the people making the straps don't use a common sealer. Why do you think that all the belts and leather products you buy commercially don't run unto your clothing? It only costs a few dollars at a leather supply company and should take care of any staining problems. Try this before sanding the leather and having a less than accurate looking strap; it should work out just fine.

: : Laurie

: Do you have a specific brand I could request? The reason I ask is that a local saddlery looked at the strap and told me, because of the grade of the leather used and the type of dye on the back, that they wouldn't guarantee the sealer they had in stock would work.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

What strap do you have? Is it Noel Howard's, Borden's, or What Price Glory's? Something else? I don't see how there could be problems with Noel's strap (that's why the ugly rubber stuff is on the back) or Jerry's, which comes with the back sanded away. Borden's has had problems with leaking dye, from what I've heard. Do you have one of those? Do you know the grade of leather and the dye used? Did those Saddlery people give you any ideas on where you could get the sealer you need? I would definitely go back and ask them.

I'm no leather expert, by any means, but the few projects I've done have gone ok using standard Tandy dye and a sealer bought there (I believe it was Super Shene, which is recommended on the dye). I made a Jedi Knight belt and nothing came off on the clothes. Maybe these guys are using a more powerful, professional dye that can't be completely sealed with what's commercially available. I think that before I bought a strap, I would ask whomever is making it what materials they used, width and type of leather, whether they used sealer, what kind of dye, etc. Then I would email (or call) leather suppliers and ask them if they have anything that would work on it.

The over-the-counter sealers out there are pretty much the same, they form a clear acrylic coat over the leather, that repels moisture and keeps the dye from running. Most are applied with a sponge or cloth, though sprays are also available. When the leather is new it's a little shiny, but eventually age and use dull it out and it looks naturalistic.

My strap is made from some old leather I bought at a flea market. It looks more like the very dark, thinner TOD/LC version, and I'm looking to buy a Raiders version. So far, I'm not satisfyed with Howard's strap, and not just because of the backing; I don't like the inaccurate buckle and the beveled lines along the trim, and the price, including the shipping fees, is about $50. And I'm leery of the others because of the reported dye problems. After these reports, I'm begining to wonder if I'll have to compromise a bit on the look and have a lighter back to the strap.

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]