Re: How do you shape a fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on September 24, 1999 at 11:27:31:

In Reply to: How do you shape a fedora posted by barb on September 24, 1999 at 11:11:23:

: Hi,

: This question has already probably been answered, but how do you shape a fedora without destroying it? Any help would be appreciated it.

: thanks

A little water and depending on how much you paid for the hat, nerves of steel!

I didn't have the energy to rehash this, so I WAS going to refer you to the appropriate section of the FAQ for the Fedora on Indygear.com. Much to my horror, this topic isn't covered!

OK. How you wet the felt depends on how major the reshaping is. If it a complete remodel on something that has already been bashed, you may as well put it under running water. Otherwise, a spray bottle or a wet washcloth will probably do. Wet the area you want to shape until the water soaks in. Gently but firmly, work the felt into the desired shape. If you screw up, don't worry. That’s the great thing about the fur felt; it can always be reshaped. Once you have the desired look, let it dry undisturbed, AND WITHOUT ARTIFICIAL HEAT. After a couple of hours, you ought to be able to handle it. I'd leave it alone overnight, just to be safe.

There it is! Not rocket science, but as stated if you paid >$300you may want a shot of whiskey first.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: