Re: I dont even remember the first time anymore

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dietrick from proxy-561.public.rwc.webtv.net on September 26, 1999 at 23:23:25:

In Reply to: The first time you saw Indy (long post!) posted by DeWayne on September 26, 1999 at 18:01:37:

: I was just wondering about the first time you people saw Indy. How immediate the "obsession" hit. I would be interested in hearing your stories, like did you first see the movies on the big screen or video? etc.
: My first experience with Indy was right at the beginning. I was just about to turn 7 when Raiders came out. I saw it in the theater with my Mom, Dad, and my brother. (I wound up seeing it 7 times!) My little brother and I were instantly hooked. I remember telling my Mom (during the movie) that I wanted a jacket like Indy's...and a whip like Indy's...and a hat like Indy's...and well, you get the idea.
: I went home and started to piece together a crude Indy costume. Some tan jeans, white shirt, cowboy hat, dark brown courderoy jacket, and a binocular case (for the bag). My brother started work on his own Indy dudds. He was only 4, so I made us both a whip using rope, and shoelaces for the handle and loop.
: A few months later, with my Mom running the camera, we made a 3 minute long 8mm version of the opening sequence in our back yard. I was Indy, of course, and my brother played Satipo, AND Belloq, AND Jock! My brother died in a car accident last year, so our shared love of Indy holds a very special place in my life, and always will.
: I look forward to hearing some of your first Indy experiences and their impact on you.
: See ya! DeWayne

I remeber using rope for whips to swing around in the trees behind our house. My mom had an old leather purse from the 70's that made a great bag. The pants and shirt I swiped from my 'fancy' clothes drawer.

And I had all the toys, too. Well of the Souls playset, streets of Cairo playset. And I even remember the day my dad and I found the coveted Indy figure at KB toys in Toledo. It was my birthday so he wouldnt let me open him untill we got home and had my party. What torture!!! The there was the day my uncle brought me the greatest gift ever. A brand new bullwhip. Geeze, I nearly died!!! It was my most favorite toy ever. I'm sure it wasnt a D.M., but it was real leather, almost too long for me, and I could almost make it crack. I still have a polaroid of me and my sister where I'm holding it just like Indy. My dad made me pose with my foot on a log and my arm resting on my knee. All I needed was a jacket and a hat. Unfortunately I was wearing a hawiian shirt. The whip is long gone, but I still have the memories.
Its odd the things you remember. I remember sitting in the sand next to our driveway holding a Sallah figure. I was just looking at him, and for some reason that image is burned into my brain. I also remember thinking how cool it was that there were actually snakes sculpted into the base of the well of the souls playset. I guess they just looked cool.
My favorite part of 'Raiders' was the fight by the airplane. I just loved the guy getting chopped up by the propellor. (And note that I am not a serial killer just from watching that scene).
My favorite part from 'TOD', which came out when I was a little older and better at paying attention, was the showdown on the rope bridge. I must have re-enacted that scene over and over above the creek by our house. Using a stick for a sword, and rope for a whip. I used to steal those little sample bottles of perfume from my mom, the ones that were like a little vial, just so I could pour out the perfume, fill it with water, and use it as 'antidote'. I think I even used blue food coloring one time for that extra touch of realism!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]