Re: Another Thing...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-113.COL.cableone.net on September 27, 1999 at 12:35:16:

In Reply to: Re: Another Thing... posted by Patterson on September 27, 1999 at 11:52:24:

: : I noticed the Bushman has vent holes in the sides. Are they positioned low enough to be covered by the ribbon? Also, have you thought of sending your hat to that shop near Miller Hats to have them do the cutting of the brim and installing of a Petersam ribbon? The color may or may not be too light, but I do like the shape of that hat. Let us know what you do because I think I want to get one!

: : Cheers,
: : Abner

: Actually, as I recall, those are the rivets where the chinstrap hooks are attached on the inside. Yes, they are low enough to be well covered by 39-mm ribbon. Also, they are very inconspicuous on the inside.

: I’m not aware of the hat shop you mention. Can they cut the hat to differing dimensions on the brim? If so, I would love to talk to them. One problem with my local men’s hat shop is that they can only cut the brim based on the existing edge in 1/8-inch increments, i.e. if its 3 ¼ all the way around, they could get it to 3-inches all the way around.

: To get the brim to 3 inches in the front and 2 ¾ on the sides and back, I am working on a jig that will allow me to do an initial cut via razor blade to get the brim to 3 inches on the sides and back and leave it at 3 ¼ inches on the front. Then I’ll have the hatter make two clean passes around the brim to get it to the desired 2 ¾ inches on the back and sides and 3 inches on the front. Does that make sense? If there were a shop that can take this piece of the puzzle off my hands, then I’d be very grateful – it’s the one part that makes me a bit nervous.

: I’m not as concerned about the color. I think that with a bit of “distressing”, it’ll look great. It is very much the same color as the first hat I almost bought – a Stetson ToD in nougat. The only reason I didn’t get it was because the Nostalgia was untapered and definitely taller with t wider brim.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

You can make a template for the brim, but be forwarned! I have done the same thing to bring the brim within specs, but it is very tedious. And if you position the template incorrectly the brim comes out lopsided. I know this from experience! I ruined one Nostalgia this way. I would suggest using the mentioned hat shop. I definetely will the next time I need a brim altered. I also agree that the Raiders version appears to have a squarer crown as opposed to a rounded crown. And I also think that the fedora from TLC was a bit shorter in crown height. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]