Re: Thanks Michaelson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on May 19, 1998 at 13:04:05:

In Reply to: Re: Thanks Michaelson posted by Max Schulte on May 19, 1998 at 12:35:40:

: : The term "throw" seems to have been a more generic term covering all whip moves. Incendentally, the side throw is the hardest hitting throw of all of the moves. It is used in South America for hunting small game, and is capable of breaking a rabbit's neck, so be careful guys in your practice! Regarding gun laws, are you speaking 1930ish laws, or current. Definately different animals, as you well know. I think the history of the arms are about as interesting as the actions of the weapons themselves, but I find myself getting more sentimental as I get older, or is that senial? About the only real safety rules to keep in mind are that all guns should be considered loaded, regardless of whether or not you know for a fact that they aren't. Never point a weapon at anything you do not plan to shoot, so keep control of the muzzle at all time, keeping it either downrange at at practice range, or toward the ground. Never let the muzzle cross the path of another individual when carrying the weapon. Remember the "never aiming at something you don't plan to shoot" rule. Every weapon has a different cleaning routine, so I think we'd be going to far afield from the forum FAQ for this information. The Cristy's auction took place in the late 80's as I recall. The details as well as pictures were on the forum not very long ago, and I printed a hard copy of the information, but it is at home, and not here for me to refer to. As I recall, the bag went in the $3000-$5000 US dollar range. A bit more than we paid for our bags, or least I hope so! Send whatever you want directly to me. As you say, it should reduce the "clutter" from the forum. Good idea. Talk to you soon. Regards. Michaelson

: Excuse me, Michaelson, do some people really use whips for hunting???
: Strange! I'd have understood it if they'd used whips for a battue but
: a whip as a weapon for hunting...

: Anyway, I was refering to the current gun laws in my prior post. I
: planned to give just a brief overview as the laws vary from state to
: state like you probably know. However, I must admit it would be
: interesting write about former gun laws as well. Regarding the Basics
: of Safety, I have found a little booklet (The Colt Companion) I got
: with a Colt features a section about safety rules. Maybe I can 'copy'
: some of these as well. But I think you just named the most important
: ones in your post.

: Yes, I will include some information about the history of the guns as
: well. Incidentally, I'd say it's quite natural to get a little bit
: sentimental about it. These guns actually ARE milestones in the history
: of military handguns...

: Gee, the bag was a little bit too expensive, wasn't it. I expected it
: to have been around $1000. At least it is a rather 'unknown' minor
: prop. I think an original Wested jacket (worn by Harrison Ford) was
: once sold as well. As far as I know it was about $14000!

: Regards,
: -Max

The whip absolutely can and is used for hunting in South and Central America. You can get accurate enough to use the whip for this as long as you have the forward and backward area to make a proper and full throw. I have used one successfully in ending a rather determined dog attack in Florida once, and have never lost my admiration or respect for the whip as a tool when used properly, as I do the gun. Lot's cheaper shot per shot too, I might add. I think you may be getting a little deeper than you want regarding the laws, though. The laws vary vastly state by state, and even in some places city by city. You aren't even allowed to order or have shipped replica guns to New York City, New Jersey, or some New England states, where in some states about anything goes. I would suggest to you that you might just want to offer the advice to the individual to check on his local ordinances regarding ownership of certain weapons before trying to obtain one. I have seen volumes up to 2 inches thick regarding just this subject. Regarding the bag, you wouldn't have seen my bid in that rarified air, I'll tell you! Even if it was carried in T of D, it didn't even come with a strap, as I recall! Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]