nobody cares abou the chachapoyas?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael from ABD9BFB8.ipt.aol.com on September 27, 1999 at 15:31:59:

did anyone see my last post about the indian city an explorer might have found? i figure it would be more interesting to talk about than hats and leather jackets, since it is real archeaology, but no one has made any comments. the link might still be there. just scroll down to the last message that says "chachapoyan." i'm getting good at spelling it...

Michael

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]
. I think the price you pay for an HJ is based more on their clientele, and not on the fact that its “the hat”.

: : Another thing to note is that the vendors who supply the preformed felt may come and go. Historically, this has tended to be somewhat of a cottage industry, though that is changing to some degree. With the exit of a given supplier may go a specific wooden form, which may or may not have had a common shape. I believe the hat from Raiders has a very singular shape to it. The hats in ToD and LC have a more common shape to them, in my opinion. I think that is why I prefer the original Raiders hat. Remember that nobody ever thought people like us would make a big deal about this. They probably think we are a bit nuts – my wife certainly thinks I am.

: : Finally…

: : The reason I first began looking into the Akubra Bushman as a possible Raider’s fedora was because of a conversation I had with David Morgan about a year ago. I am lucky enough to live just down the road from his store in Bothell, Washington. He is a very nice man, and it is very easy to spend an entire lunch hour talking to him, if you’re not careful. We were discussing the whips he supplied to the production company. He then began asking if I had procured the other items in the outfit. When we came around to the topic of the hat, he made a comment I had never read or heard before; he said that they actually based the original Raiders hat on the Akubra Squatter – a fedora with a 5.25-inch crown and a 3inch brim. At that point in the production of the Raiders, local suppliers in Great Britain were providing the other wardrobe components. That is why HJ was approached to provide the hat. Take that for what it is worth. The man was certainly exposed to the build up for the movie. I would take anything he says about whips as gospel. Hats may be another story. Either way, it was an interesting conversation.

: : On a side note I decided to consider the Akubra Bushman over the Squatter for two reasons. First, the edges on both hats are bound, and I wanted one with a wider brim so I could cut off the area where the edge had been sewn on. The Squatter has a 3inch bound edge, while the Bushman has a 3.25-inch bound edge. The second reason was because of the relative size of my head in comparison to Harrison Ford’s. He wore a 7 ¼, while I wear a 7 5/8. That is a fairly big difference in size. I therefore wanted a hat with larger dimensions to be able to get the right look on my big head. The Squatter has a 5.25-inch crown, while the Bushman has a 5.5-inch crown.

: : Sorry if this is rather lengthy, but I felt like these were areas that ought to be covered.

: : Cheers!

: : Patterson

: Thanks alot for your response. As anyone who reads my posts know, I am rather obsessed with hats. My wife thinks I am a little nutty too! I found your info very interesting, and I am in agreement with you concerning the different hats used. Keep us updated on this hat you are working on. I would love to see a of it when it is complete. Again thanks. steve

You got that right! I purchased his "Whips and Whipmaking" as it
is the "bullwhip Bible" and I even got him to autograph it for me!!!
I am also the extremely proud owner of his #456 12 foot Indiana Jones
bullwhip (the coolest whip on the face of the earth)- in existence,
even!!! I am totally Indiana Jones obsessive!!! (but I have noticed
that a lot of people here seem to have that problem, too...)

-Dale Dassel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]