Re: To be Indy

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DeWayne from 207.212.159.67 on September 27, 1999 at 21:15:21:

In Reply to: Re: The first time you saw Indy (long post!) posted by Michaelson on September 27, 1999 at 09:26:23:

: : I was just wondering about the first time you people saw Indy. How immediate the "obsession" hit. I would be interested in hearing your stories, like did you first see the movies on the big screen or video? etc.
: : My first experience with Indy was right at the beginning. I was just about to turn 7 when Raiders came out. I saw it in the theater with my Mom, Dad, and my brother. (I wound up seeing it 7 times!) My little brother and I were instantly hooked. I remember telling my Mom (during the movie) that I wanted a jacket like Indy's...and a whip like Indy's...and a hat like Indy's...and well, you get the idea.
: : I went home and started to piece together a crude Indy costume. Some tan jeans, white shirt, cowboy hat, dark brown courderoy jacket, and a binocular case (for the bag). My brother started work on his own Indy dudds. He was only 4, so I made us both a whip using rope, and shoelaces for the handle and loop.
: : A few months later, with my Mom running the camera, we made a 3 minute long 8mm version of the opening sequence in our back yard. I was Indy, of course, and my brother played Satipo, AND Belloq, AND Jock! My brother died in a car accident last year, so our shared love of Indy holds a very special place in my life, and always will.
: : I look forward to hearing some of your first Indy experiences and their impact on you.
: : See ya! DeWayne

: I, too, am sorry hear of your past loss, as I also lost my brother back in the late 70's to cancer. He was the academic of the group, as I was the "adventurer". This is more than likely some of my preoccupation with IJ, as if you could have combined my brother's research/academic interest and my brainless pursuit of "adventure" at the time, you had the character Indiana Jones. He never got to see any of the movies, as he passed on in '79, two years before Raiders. He did get to see the first SW movie, and was a science fiction addict, so he got to experience the start of the Lucas empire and the changes it brought to the big screen. But that was not the question of this post.... I saw the first movie in 1981 in a small Ohio theater, and was literally drug there by my sister and best friend who told me that the ultimate movie that was a combination of ALL my interests had been created. They were absolutely correct, as here I am 18 years later still writing and pursuing the hobby. Regards. Michaelson

I'm sorry to hear of your past loss as well. I'm fortunate to have experienced the magic of Indy with my brother. Even though I was only six, I remember that my parents were initially more excited about seeing Raiders than my brother and I were. We just wanted to stay home and play with our Star Wars toys, haha. Then my Mom told us that the main character of this movie was played by the same guy who played Han Solo. Then we were excited. When we came home, we didn't just want the Indy toys, we wanted to BE INDY! Obviously, there's a part of me that still does!
See ya! DeWayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]