Re: Academia speaks

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on September 28, 1999 at 11:29:45:

In Reply to: Re: Academia speaks posted by Steve on September 28, 1999 at 11:15:53:

: : I just read an interesting quote from the AIA (Archaeological Institute of America) newsletter of Summer 1999. In this newsletter there is a reprint of a speech made by the winner of the AIA Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Susan Alcock. What does this have to do with us? I quote from her speech..."Now it is true that the kids with backward baseball caps who sit in front of us often start with bad information, derived from a lurid combination of young Indiana Jones and Xena Warrior Princess. Easy though it is to despise such sources, they are what give us our first crack at students, and thus our opportunity to take and teach them better." Unquote. Well, I guess this is the very best sample of a backhanded compliment that I've ever read. YIJC is lurid information, but by gar it pulls the kids into the classroom and gives the universities their tuition monies! Oh yes, we can teach them better too. Interesting. Regards. Michaelson

: Hmmm. I was under the impression that the Indy chronicles were more or less historically correct. Hardly lurid. Perhaps the good proffessor didn't do her research! It is interesting how the Indiana Jones phenomenon possibly motivates kids to seek a higher education. Personally I think this phenomena has had a positive influence on society in general, but heck, I am predjudiced. Steve

I'm with you totally, Steve. My eldest daughter (who appears here occasionally as D. Jones) is attending the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and majoring in Egyptology. Was there an influence from all my years in this hobby. I'd be crazy to say no. Did I push her in that direction. Absolutely not. But I will admit that her interests have evolved around what mine have been all these years. I can only hope that her intense interest in research leads her in the direction SHE wants to go, not old dad's interest. But I would have to admit that the constant exposure to the IJ franchise had to have an effect, good OR bad. As you say, or to paraphrase if I may, the IJ franchise has lead younger people toward the studies of classical archeology more now than anytime since the 1920's and 30's. Lurid or not, they should be more grateful that this influence is around, right or wrong, and I really don't think you should lump all these outside interests in the same basket. I don't equate Xenia with IJ any way, shape, or form, but then like you, I'm predjudiced too. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]