Indiana Jones and the Monkey King

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thuggee Bear from host-209-214-176-74.cae.bellsouth.net on September 28, 1999 at 22:37:36:

First of all, I want to thank Dietrich for writing a synopsis of this script, and Micah for posting it. I've been curious about the plot to this much-rumored script for quite some time, and the synopsis really clears up a lot. For one thing, I didn't realize that the "Garden of Peaches" plot rumor for Indy 4, is actually this storyline. (I think it's safe to assume that those rumors aren't true now, since the ending to Last Crusade is pretty much the same thing as this ending.)

Anyway, here are a few random thoughts on what could've been Indy 3:

The opening sequence was kinda interesting, and obviously inspired by Lucas' idea for a "haunted house" Indy movie. Although, I really never thought that that idea could have carried a whole Indy adventure, but using it for the prologue might have worked.

I have to agree with all of Dietrich's observations, also. The Betsy character was bad, as were the monkey jokes, and the "Indy as dinner" part reminded me of ROTJ even before I read his remark about it.

There were really only one or two lines that sounded like they would fit in an Indy movie. My favorite bit was where Indy asks if this is his native friend, and the pirate points to the shrunken head and says that no- that is him.

Overall, it felt more like I was reading one of the Indy comic books, (even down to trying to draw and quarter Indy, as he was in one of those storylines). The big problem with the story, however, was that Indy didn't seem to have any real motivation to find the lost king, other than to say that he did.

I'm not sure what Lucas and Spielberg worried that people would find so offensive about this story, (aside from the Betsy character), but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford was less than happy with all the animal stunts! I think we can all agree that Indy chasing the tank on horseback turned out MUCH better than having him run around a rhino would have!

The lost city part started out with some potential, (with the "nazi becoming the new king" bit an interesting way to put Indy in peril again), but thank goodness they never filmed anything like that "Indy as Patton" scene!!

Overall, I enjoyed reading it, but I'm really glad there's no threat of an Indy 4 where his sidekick/weapon is a golden staff that changes shape!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]