What multiple posting titles...titles.....titles....tiles....(grins) nm

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em11-686.utsi.edu on September 30, 1999 at 08:17:15:

In Reply to: Referring to the multiple posting titles (repetitive) nm posted by Dale Dassel on September 29, 1999 at 21:49:13:

: : : : : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : : : : : : Okay, for those of you curious to know the crown measurements
: : : : : : : : : : : : of an authentic Herbert Johnson, here goes:

: : : : : : : : : : : : I took a yellow plastic (cloth tape measurer) and mesured the crown
: : : : : : : : : : : : on two sides. On the very front center of the crown, the measure went
: : : : : : : : : : : : from where the crown comes out of the brim, to the part where it
: : : : : : : : : : : : creases in at the top, and we're talking strictly height: the
: : : : : : : : : : : : measurement was 4 and 3/4 inches. On the side, starting at the
: : : : : : : : : : : : bottom of the ribbon, the crown measured about 5 and 1/2 inches.
: : : : : : : : : : : : (If you were to punch the inside top of the crown out, you could
: : : : : : : : : : : : easily achieve six inches.
: : : : : : : : : : : : When it arrived, the crown was not bashed in at the front,
: : : : : : : : : : : : but the top was bashed into the standard u-shaped cavity, which
: : : : : : : : : : : : can be seen very well in stills from Raiders where Indy is jumping
: : : : : : : : : : : : from the horse onto the side of the truck. (Can also be seen very
: : : : : : : : : : : : well in raiders where he is in the temple with Satipo and bends down to brush the dust off of the floor (the camera is briefly directly
: : : : : : : : : : : : above them). Any more questions, measurements, etc? Also would be
: : : : : : : : : : : : more than happy to e-mail photos of my "Poet" courtesy of our new
: : : : : : : : : : : : Sony Mavica digital camera. (You get spectacularly well-lit, clear
: : : : : : : : : : : : shots instantly)

: : : : : : : : : : : : -Dale Dassel

: : : : : : : : : : The brim measurements are 2 and 3/4 on the front and back;
: : : : : : : : : : and 2 and 1/2 on the sides (I wrote Mr. Swales a very nice letter
: : : : : : : : : : with specific instructions and I received exactly what I asked for,
: : : : : : : : : : with the exception of a bashed Raiders-style crown)

: : : : : : : : : : -Dale

: : : : : : : : : Dale - Did you ask for thoses brim measurements specifically? I ask because I've also heard the meaurements are 2.75 in front and 2.5 on the back and sides.

: : : : : : : : : Abner - I'm wondering if I should just go with 3 inches all the way around, given Dales measurements.

: : : : : : : : : Thoughts?

: : : : : : : : : Patterson

: : : : : : : : 2.75=2 and 3/4 inches and 2.5=2 and 1/2 inches. It's just the
: : : : : : : : metric decimal way of saying it!!! (I'd go for the 3-inch standard
: : : : : : : : brim if you want more sun protection, but mine provides plenty as-is.
: : : : : : : : (As-is, NOT Abdul Aziz from the Newsradio episode: Balloon!)

: : : : : : : You say "The brim measurements are 2 and 3/4 on the front and back" while I'm saying 2 3/4 in front and 2 1/2 in back, i.e. I've seen sources saying the front brim is .25 inches longer then the back. Your post says the front and back are the same.

: : : : : : : Again, not to be , but once I actually cut the felt, I'm committed.

: : : : : : : Cheers!

: : : : : : : Patterson

: : : : : : I've measured my hat's brim and the front and back are the same.
: : : : : : That's the way hats are supposed to be. I've never heard of the front
: : : : : : being longer than the back. I'm confused, but not concerned. The
: : : : : : hat looks fine to me!!!

: : : : : : -Dale

: : : : : Thanks for the laugh("Hat brims.... why did it have to be hat brims?") - its been a day when I've really needed one!

: : : : : No, I wasn't insinuating anything was wrong with your hat. It always struck me as odd that they would cut the hat that way - uneven, that is.

: : : : : Thanks for all the help on this. I'll probably go with 3 inches all the way around, and let the edges curl up a bit on the sides to get the look down. I can always trim it a bit mor later.

: : : : : Again, thanks!

: : : : : Patterson

: : : : Actually the dimensional cuts that Dale lists are exactly the same as the Stetson offerings of the Temple and Ark. Regards. Michaelson

: : ...as I have read all the postings here regarding your measurements discussion and did not see this Stetson dimensional cut information stated. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]