Re: Pls. Help re: Leather Groom

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-69.COL.cableone.net on October 01, 1999 at 08:28:25:

In Reply to: Pls. Help re: Leather Groom posted by Sean on October 01, 1999 at 02:28:54:

: Hi:
: Okay - I've given up all hope of ever receiving the leather groom from Wested. Now, I've had my jacket a little over a year, and noticed for the first time yesterday it's a little dry. I DESPERATELY need to treat it but I'll be damned if I put any old treatment on it.
: I need to know something from Wested and leather groom oweners:
: 1) What is the ingredients on the leather groom can, and is there anything comparable in North America.
: 2) Does this leather groom prevent the leather from ligthening in colour with age?

: Any help would be appreciated as I really need to treat my jacket with the onset of inclement weather...but I'm in Canada so what're ya gonna do?
: Cheers,
: Sean

As you probaly know, there are numerous leather care products out there. Since you are located where it gets really cold, you obviously need something that maintains the flexibility of the leather. I have only one word of advice-don't use a product that contains silicone. It is my understanding that this stuff causes the thread stitching to rot over time. Bad news for a jacket! Of course the advantage of a silicone product is that this stuff does reduce fading caused by ultraviolent radiation. I still have a pair of Pivetti (probaly misspelled) hiking boots that I purchased in 1975 and although I have had them resoled 4 times, the uppers are still in remarkable condition. I have never used anything on them but Snow Seal. Not the version with silicone, but the old type. While I wouldn't use this on my flight jacket, this stuff has really done the job on my boots. I am also a firm believer in using saddle soap once a year on my jacket. I am sure there is some one on this forum who has some better ideas. I do know that Michaelson has been searching for a comparable replacement for the product you mentioned. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]