Yep!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from firewall-01.stfx.com on October 04, 1999 at 10:24:18:

In Reply to: "Casablanca" an influence posted by Abner on October 04, 1999 at 09:38:50:

: I watched Casablanca again this weekend and I was struck with some of the similarities with Raiders, besides the oft-cited simlarities between Bogart/Ford. I noticed the director's use of shadow particularly, but also, the exotic feel of the sets, the bar scenes, the symbolism of the airplane (and of course that line on the map thing) must have had an impact on Spielberg when he was making Raiders. Has anyone come across any references to this in any "making of" articles?

: The intro to Last Crusade also reminds me of a John Ford western.

:
: Cheers,
: Abner

Yes, Casablanca was one of many influences for Raiders. In the Raiders Collector's Album I got from my good friend Mike, Lawrence Kasdan does site Casablanca as a movie of influence for Raiders. Plus, ever notice the line Marion says to Indy (don't know the exact quote but it was something to the effect of Indy walking back into Marion's life out of all the bars and stuff), is sort of a role reversal of what Bogart said about Ilsa in Casablanca ("Of all the gin joints and bars in the owrld, why'd she have to walk into mine?"). Yep, definitely some similarities.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]