Here's what I think...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on October 04, 1999 at 23:37:36:

In Reply to: About that Belloq eating a fly scene.... posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert on October 04, 1999 at 06:23:34:

First off, every time I see "Raiders" in a theatre there is a reaction when the fly lands on Belloq's lip. Everybody in the audience either sees it or turns to their seatmate and asks if they saw what they think they saw. Never fails.
I personally don't think he actually swallowed the fly. If you look close you see the fly land on his lip and crawl a little bit and then it just vanishes. It's logical to think that he swallowed it but Paul Freeman's reaction is not the reaction of a man with a mouth full of buzzing fly. In fact I'm not sure he even registered that it landed on his lip at all. Maybe there were so many flies during the shoot that he disregarded them to some extent but no one could ignore one that got inside their mouth.
Another poster pointed out how hard it is to watch a fly in flight. It's even harder to see in a movie. Since film doesn't capture everything and only shoots 24 frames a second the fly would only be visible in flight on a frame or two of film; far too short a time for the human eye to register it. This is why wagon wheels in old westerns appear to be spinning backward. Motion picture film just can't capture every movement of an object that is moving at a rapid pace.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]