So, the color does work then?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on October 06, 1999 at 16:13:48:

In Reply to: Re: Update: Quest for the Fedora... The Bushman works!!!! posted by Shunya on October 06, 1999 at 15:55:01:

: : Thanks to Jack Skellington's post, I decided to check around at some of the many local western wear shops. Of the eight I called, all said that they could cut the brim (front-back-sides) to different widths (i.e. dimensional) and none of them wanted to charge me anything for it. All said it was pretty standard for retailers selling high quality cowboy hats. None of them cared that I was buying the hat somewhere else, or that it wasn't a cowboy hat.

: : This is going to be easier then I thought!

: : Cheers!

: : Lieutenant Colonel John Patterson

: I just got back from San Antonio with my Bushman shaped, cut, and ribboned and I could just die!!! This is just about the exact hat I saw in the dark movie theatre so many years ago. (I say almost cuz my head is shaped funny so my hats never fit me just right) The crown is tall (5 1/2) Even the store employee commented on the height. They cut the brim from its 3 1/4 down to 2 3/4 as I felt the Raiders fedora had a wide brim all the way around as opposed to the dimensional cut. Black brown wide ribbon...ooolala. I took pictures so that I could scan it but I haven`t developed them yet. But the Bushman definitely works!!!!

So, how do you like the color? It IS grayer, but I'm thinking a bit of weathering ought to do the trick. It would be easier (safer) to go with 2 3/4 all the way around. I think I'll follow your lead unless the hat shop I'm going to gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the dimensional cut.

By the way, where did you get your ribbon? Did the hat shop have it, or did you go through a fabric store or floral supply place? I've been able to find a pretty good grosgrain in a dull black, which looks pretty good on my Nostalgia.

Glad to hear of the success!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: