Fur, smur...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on October 07, 1999 at 09:24:33:

In Reply to: Re: Akubra is rabbit Fur! Akubra is rabbit fur! posted by Steve on October 06, 1999 at 22:23:06:

: : Akubra hats use rabbit fur felt. I thought the best looking and most durable fur felt was beaver. Akubra owners and other hat experts: does this matter? What kind of quality difference?

: : Also, do any Akubra "Indy" hats have dark brown felt (as in Raiders?)

:
: Looks like we are thinking along the same lines. (See my post above) I doubt very seriously if an untrained eye could see the difference between beaver and rabbit. Performance wise there is probaly little difference. And as the old saying goes....you get what you pay for. Personally I don't care if this hat is made of rabbit, as long as it has the right look. At around $80.00 it is in my book a bargain. The Australians have been making this brand of hat for many, many years. I really do trust their quality. Steve

From an overall quality point of view, the western hat retailers I've spoken with about the Akubra say that, as a "working man's hat", it is superior to Stetson, and most American hat manufacturers in general. My concern wasn't with rabbit vs. beaver, but in the thickness of the felt. The Akubra is noticeably thinner then my Nostalgia, although MUCH stiffer.

I was told that the hat would relax, a bit, over time, but that it will continue to be stiffer, compared to the Stetson. This is due to the fact that the felt used by Akubra is much denser, ounce for ounce, as compared to the felt used by American hat manufacturers. I have heard that the HJ Poet is also very stiff. Does anybody know what type of felt they use?

The Stetson felt is made to have more of an even color and softer look, so as to be a "dress" hat. Akubra doesn't use any of the hat powders used by American hat manufacturers, which serves to even out the color of the felt. When you look at an Akubra, you'll notice fine variations in the coloring, much as you do when looking at the leather of a Wested jacket. Another strong selling point on the Akubra's the sweatband.

Styling is also an issue. One of the reasons it is difficult to get a hat with 1930’s styling is that hats have gotten shorter and more tapered over the years. The tall crowns and wide brims of the early part of the century have, for the most part, disappeared. Akubra has been making the Bushman since the early 1900’s – THE VERY SAME HAT.

No, I do not work for either David Morgan or Akubra. David Morgan's site has a FAQ section that deals with a lot of this. Check it out!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: