Comparison

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on October 07, 1999 at 10:05:45:

In Reply to: 2 questions for bullwhip owners posted by Satipo on October 07, 1999 at 02:16:17:

: 1) How realistic are the sound effects of the bullwhip in the movies? I love them because they sound really meaty - especially the sound when it moves through the air before it cracks (Raiders being the best source for these sounds, in my opinion).

: 2) Has anyone been in a position to compare a David Morgan and its Mark Allen equivalent? Is the Mark Allen an exact replica? At about a hundred dollars cheaper it seems an excellent bargain if it is.

: Many thanks,

: Satipo

The whip offered by Mar Allen is not an EXACT replica of the David Morgan whip. I own the Allen whip, and am VERY pleased with it. There are only two differences.

The first difference is the color of the kangaroo hide used. David used a darker hide, while the Allen whip is natural tan. Liberal use of Pecard dressing and a bit of use darkens the Allen whip very nicely, giving it a very authentic weathered look, so the color is really a non-issue.

The second is the shape of the ball at the end of the handle. David uses a handle with more of a conical shape to the end, while the Allen handle is more cylindrical. Not a big difference, in my mind, for $170 difference (10 foot).

Quality is, I'm told, very close. Both are hand-made. Allen’s are made in Australia by craftsmen in the whipmaking trade. David, the master himself, makes David’s.

If you want a real working whip with the right look and feel, go with the Allen whip. If you want a real working whip that you can say is truly authentic to the whip used in the films and made by the Man himself, get the David Morgan. It’s all in what your priorities are.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: