Re: Akubra Dover hat

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-34.COL.cableone.net on October 08, 1999 at 05:51:52:

In Reply to: Akubra Dover hat posted by belloq on October 07, 1999 at 21:05:01:

: I visited J. Peterman today, and they had an entire wall of Akubra Dover hats (which are also sold by David Morgan.) These hats were a grey-light brown color. I did like the stiffness of the felt. According to David Morgan, like the Bushman, the crown is 5 1/2". However, when I dented and pinched it in the Raiders style (as is my favorite,) it still looked too "short." I don't think I have seen any hat yet that matches the extreme height and dark brown color of the Raiders fedora. I think the Raiders fedora may be 6" or even 6 1/2".

: Does Akubra or anyone else make a dark brown felt and an untapered crown of 6"?
: Someday I will find you...oh yes, I will find you.
: belloq

I don't know of any hats with a 6 inch crown except perhaps some cowboy hats. I used to think that Indy's fedora was taller, but now I feel that the height of the Raiders hat was around 5 1/2". This is still pretty tall for a fedora! I think the hats used for the other 2 movies were a little shorter in crown height. If you look at the Raiders hat from the front you will notice that the hats' crown sticks up a good bit past the front pinch on either side. The hat used in TLC does not, it is pretty flat on top. My Custom Hatter fedora has a 5 5/8" open crown, and this looks perfect to me, at least when it comes to replicating the Raiders fedora. But heck, I could be wrong! Maybe one day we will have the definetive answer. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]