Re: David Morgan

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Dassel from constellation.shreve.net on October 08, 1999 at 12:37:08:

In Reply to: Akubra in hand! posted by Patterson on October 08, 1999 at 12:15:24:

: I visited David Morgan today, with the intention of getting a Bushman. Based on emails swapped yesterday with Steve, I thought to compare the color of the Bushman with another Akubra, the Drover, which is also supposed to have a 5 ½-inch crown. To my delight and surprise, the size 61 Drover M. Morgan brought out had a 6 ? -inch crown! It is just a bit more rounded at the top compared to the Bushman, but when bashed it is a ringer for the HJ Poet. Mr. Morgan did comment that the crown on the Drover will tend to vary, and does tend to get higher with the larger sizes. The specifications listed are for 7 ¼.

: The brim is 3 ? with a bound edge. I stopped by my local hat shop, where they very promptly cut the entire edge to 3 inches, then trimmed ? from the sides. The whole operation took less then 10minutes. I went with these measurements because of the size of my head (7 ?) and because of some input from Steve on his correspondences with Mr. Swales at Herbert Johnson. I figure if it looks too wide, I can take the extra ? off the entire brim.

: It looks terrific! Only the ribbon remains (that will happen this weekend). A will follow, for those who care.

: On a side note, I had a conversation with Mr. Morgan about all things Indy. He is a very nice man. At times he was VERY sharp. It is sad, but I would question how long whips made by the Master will be available. It HAS been almost twenty years since Raiders. Time passes.

: Anyway, no matter how you cut it, the Akubra is the way to go - Bushman or Drover.

: Again, this is a ringer for the Poet. s to come next week.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

I know what you mean. Before I purchased my bullwhip from him,
we had numerous e-mail conversations and I questioned him about
how long the Indiana Jones bullwhip would be available. He responded:
"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may." Which I took to mean that the
future is so uncertain and to not waste any opportunity. I called
and ordered it one week later.
It's a sad fact that these people that supply us with our
gear aren't as young as they used to be (back in 81') and time
waits for no man. They won't be around forever, so it is our duty
to learn everything we can from them so that when they are gone,
we can pass on their knowledge to others who didn't have the
opportunity to correspond with them on a personal basis. Most
people take life for granted, and you can't do that. (this year
alone I lost two people that were dear to me) And now all I can
do is look back with fond memories about the times we had together.
My point is as follows: life is too short, so make it a good one.
Addendum: (this may sound a bit materialistic, but it's not)
Life is also too short not to have what you want. Get it while
the getting's good, because you can't take it with you. And no
matter how much something costs, it's worth it if you REALLY
want it and get the most out of it.

-Dale Dassel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional: