Thanks!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive8fe.dialup.mindspring.com on October 08, 1999 at 16:55:04:

In Reply to: Re: Fractions? posted by Patterson on October 08, 1999 at 16:14:07:

: : Patterson,

: : Could you post those dimensions again in decimal form? For some reason the fractions did not post- they came across as question marks.

: : Cheers,
: : Abner

:
: Hmmm... Sorry about that. I typed it in Word and pasted it over. Oh, well. Here's the version with decimals:

: I visited David Morgan today, with the intention of getting a Bushman. Based on emails swapped yesterday with Steve, I thought to compare the color of the Bushman with another Akubra, the Drover, which is also supposed to have a 5.5-inch crown. To my delight and surprise, the size 61 Drover M. Morgan brought out had a 6.375 -inch crown! It is just a bit more rounded at the top compared to the Bushman, but when bashed it is a dead ringer for the HJ Poet. Mr. Morgan did comment that the crown on the Drover will tend to vary, and does tend to get higher with the larger sizes. The specifications listed are for 7.25.

: The brim is 3.625 with a bound edge. I stopped by my local hat shop, where they very promptly cut the entire edge to 3 inches, then trimmed 0.125 from the sides. The whole operation took less then 10minutes. I went with these measurements because of the size of my head (7.625) and because of some input from Steve on his correspondences with Mr. Swales at Herbert Johnson. I figure if it looks too wide, I can take the extra 0.125 off the entire brim.

: It looks terrific! Only the ribbon remains (that will happen this weekend). A picture will follow, for those who care.

: On a side note, I had a conversation with Mr. Morgan about all things Indy. He is a very nice man. At times he was VERY sharp. It is sad, but I would question how long whips made by the Master will be available. It HAS been almost twenty years since Raiders. Time passes.

: Anyway, no matter how you cut it, the Akubra is the way to go - Bushman or Drover.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Thanks alot. I'm sorry I made you do all that work- maybe I should have just asked for non-formatted fractions. Anyway, I figured out what all the decimals were and translated back:

"I visited David Morgan today, with the intention of getting a Bushman. Based on emails swapped yesterday with Steve, I thought to compare the color of the Bushman with another Akubra, the Drover, which is also supposed to have a 5 1/2 inch crown. To my delight and surprise, the size 61 Drover M. Morgan brought out had a 6 3/8 inch crown! It is just a bit more rounded at the top compared to the Bushman, but when bashed it is a dead ringer for the HJ Poet. Mr. Morgan did comment that the crown on the Drover will tend to vary, and does tend to get higher with the larger sizes. The specifications listed are for 7 1/4.

The brim is 3 5/8 with a bound edge. I stopped by my local hat shop, where they very promptly cut the entire edge to 3 inches, then trimmed 1/8" from the sides. The whole operation took less then 10minutes. I went with these measurements because of the size of my head (7 5/8) and because of some input from Steve on his correspondences with Mr. Swales at Herbert Johnson. I figure if it looks too wide, I can take the extra 1/8" off the entire brim."

Hey- Now we know why that Mars probe crashed!

Say, what do you think of the color on the Drover? From the picture on the website, I think I like the Bushman better- but it's impossible to judge from a picture.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: