Re: Second hand from HJ

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-81.COL.cableone.net on October 08, 1999 at 18:10:53:

In Reply to: Second hand from HJ posted by Patterson on October 08, 1999 at 17:21:09:

: : All this Akubra talk has gotten me confused...what exactly is the consensus on what the proper brim dimensions were? I'm fortunate in that I'm a size 58, so I can go by the originals- if anyone knows them...

: : Cheers,
: : Abner

: Steve shared with me via email that Mr. Swales at HJ gave him the brim dimensions of 2.75 on the sides and 2.875 on the front and back.

: My Akubra dimensions are simply those aboe, plus 0.125 inch - my SWAG due to having a big head.

: Hope this helps!

: Patterson

I have not contacted HJ, so this must be another Steve. Are you sure it wasn't Joe? I noticed that he commented on this very thing a couple days ago. To be honest this is the first time I have ever heard of those particular brim measurments. I have always been under the impression that the fedora made for the movies sported a 2 3/4 x 2 1/2 inch dimensional brim. If your brim dimensions are correct, then why in the world is HJ still selling the Indy fedoras with the smaller cut brim. Somewhat of a contradiction here. The next time someone on this forum talks to HJ,this might be an excellent question to ask him once again. Of course there is the possibility that not all the fedoras used in the movies were cut the same. The Raider fedora perhaps has a brim that is a little bit larger. Sometimes it appears this way to me, and at other times I am unsure. Perhaps this hat was a bit taller and therefore the brim was a bit larger as well. If the measurements of 2 7/8 x 2 3/4 are correct then the dimensional cut would be hardly noticable. Not so with the 2 3/4 x 2 1/2. This 1/4 inch difference is noticable (sp?) I am interested in this and perhaps someone out there can shed some light on this. Sorry Abner, I am just as confused as you are! Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]