SLAP ME SILLY IF I'M WRONG, Indyfans! But I think I'm onto something in regards to Indy 4....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dietrich from client201-123-169.bellatlantic.net on October 10, 1999 at 19:46:01:

To all Indyfans:

Okay, it sure looks to me like Spielberg's the sole hold out at present. Maybe he's creatively bored by the franchise and the thoughts of a fourth outing. Or maybe he wants to pursue other films - who knows! But I for one am going to keep my fingers crossed that it'll go before cameras next summer...

In the meantime, though, I'm still wondering about those two scripts that Lucas mentioned last week. Obviously, one's got to be by Jeffrey Boam. And the other could be anyone's guess.

But here's my theory about what one of them MAY be about.

We've all heard about that fabled script known as "Indiana Jones and the Law of One," right? Yet none of us have actually seen it, or at least a portion of it. Well, the folks at Cinescape have - and they haven't told us much, except this, last year:

"Just over two weeks ago, Cinescape Online received an envelope, addressed from a major motion picture studio, that contained what purported to be an early draft of the screenplay to Indiana Jones 4. Entitled Indiana Jones: The Law of One, the script was a great read, filled with interesting characters and plenty of action. The plot follows Indy on a race to harness the power of the ancient device which was responsible for the destruction of Atlantis.

But is it real?

After an e-mail exchange and a lengthy telephone conversation with the person who sent the script, our investigation remains inconclusive. There are a number of facts, however, that would undermine the claims of the source. Chief among them are the authors' lack of registration with the Writers' Guild of America, as well as the writers' reps denying knowledge of the project...or their supposed clients.

So could it be real?

The storyline is very good, and the script was professionally prepared (with the possible exception of the authors' phone numbers on the script cover). Of course, that doesn't automatically translate into authenticity. Personally, we think it would make a great Indy sequel if it's the real deal. Let's just say we have our doubts for now..."

- From www.cinescape.com, dated April 10, 1998

A few months ago, in Sci-fi World magazine, Cinescape editor and writer Chris Kivlehan added that the "Law of One" script featured the return of Willie Scott.

In May of '98, Lucas Arts issued a press release for the upcoming Infernal Machine game that said this:

"It’s 1947 and the Cold War is just beginning its insidious spread. Soviet agents have been ordered by the Russian government to search the ruins of the fabled Tower of Babel for an ancient machine that could unlock a legendary inter-dimensional gate. If activated, the device could unleash a deadly force and swing the balance of power away from the West. Only one person is capable of preventing a plan so terrifying and dangerous: the renowned archeologist, Indiana Jones."

Now, maybe I'm stretching it, but to me at leatst... I see a bit of a similarity between the plots of "Law of One" script and "Infernal Machine" game. Now, awhile back (in an interview I can't find...) Hal Barwood at LucasArts said that when he presented his original idea for the new Indy 3D game to Lucasfilm he was warned that his idea was too similar to something they may want to explore in the movies in the future. Is it possible that Barwood's original intention was to do a semi-sequel to Fate of Atlantis and after being steered away by Lucasfilm shifted the focus to the Tower of Babel?

questions on top of more questions.

So we've got Lucas with two scripts - one definitely by Boam. Is it possible that the other script is "The Law of One"???? A script that was very similar to Barwood's original Indy 3D idea?

Well, if so, who wrote this mysterious script?

It just so happens I've got an idea about that: Spielberg himself has been quoted in interviews these past two or three years as saying that the "Indy 4 hat is halfway on my head. I have the plot all worked out...". This quote leaves me to think that he has come up with his own script, which I believe MAY be the "Law of One". Conveniently, that script would call for the return of Willie Scott and thusly, Kate Capshaw (aka Mrs. Spielberg).

With Spielberg seeming to be the last remaining hold out that's preventing Indy 4 from moving into production, the idea of directing his wife again would surely sweeten the deal.

What does everyone here think? Am I crazy?!??! Or does anyone have any further info on "Indiana Jones and the Law of One" that could either deepen the mystery or support my theory?

How about it Cinescape? You've got the script - give us some more details, please!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]