Seven Veils (long post)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thuggee Bear from host-216-78-21-33.cae.bellsouth.net on October 11, 1999 at 23:21:14:

I just read my first Indy novel, (IJ and the Seven Veils), and I'm curious what everyone else thought of it. Although I bought the complete set, I didn't read Peril at Delphi first because it sounded like Indy was too young in it, and I didn't want to feel like I was reading a Young Indy adventure. So I picked 7 Veils, (although not before reading the back cover of The Genesis Deluge, which gave away part of the damn ending!), because I remember someone here saying it was their favorite.

-I'll try not to spoil anything, but if you haven't read it, you probably shouldn't read any further.-

I was a little surprised that it didn't contain the sort of cliffhanger action that made the movies famous. I know there were a lot of action sequences, but they seemed pretty far spaced out, and a few of them seemed a little clunky in their resolution. (ex. Indy falls out of a plane, only we soon learn his leg has somehow hooked the strut) I was also surprised that the opening prologue didn't really seem to go anywhere.

I liked the idea of Indy attending the religious ceremony in Brazil, and the lost city stuff was well-done. The former seemed like it could have made it into one of the films, while the latter would have made for some interesting visuals if they had ever shot it.

I didn't really care much for the rival professor's motivation, (he's worried about losing a bet?), and the pursuing henchmen grew tiresome.
Overall, I enjoyed the imagination of the Veiling society, but I thought the first half was a little plodding.

It's funny though. See, my newest idea for an insomnia cure has been to read a lot. (BTW, it doesn't work, because now I stay up all night to finish the book- read a hell of a lot of books though.) I've gotten ideas for some of the books I've read from other posts here, and so I had already read a book about an expedition to find a lost white race, (Allan Quatermain), several books about lost cities, (The Return of Tarzan and several other Tarzan titles), and even one that had a lost city where the inhabitants did all their work in dream states! (Conan the Adventurer)

Oh well, variations on familiar themes, I guess.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]