Re: Indy DVD soon? (very long post)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rocky from HRBGB102-05.splitrock.net on October 12, 1999 at 22:40:31:

In Reply to: Re: Indy DVD soon? posted by Mithrandir on October 12, 1999 at 19:14:57:

Well I agree about the pan and scan comment. I don't like it either. That was one of the reasons I got into DVD in the first place. But I use to work for a local Suncoast and faced a lot of opposition when asked about the widescreen format. No matter how hard I tried or how many ways I explained it, there were people who did not like widescreen, and I couldn't convince them otherwise. One couple asked me about DVD, and I told them all I knew about the qualities of DVD and they went out that week and bought one. They came in about two weeks later and said yes they loved the quality of the movies, but they didn't like the fact that so many were done in widescreen only. I tried explaining to them about the theatrical experiece versus the television experience, but it was no go. So I grew to respect the fact that people will like what they want to.

Now to Spielberg.
Why does he hate DVD?
You know, I've heard a lot of stories as to why, and heard them all reported as being false, so I'm afraid the only way we're going to know for sure is for Mr. Spielberg to tell us himself.
I heard he wanted DIVX to take off, then I heard that story wasn't true. that he was an advocate of DVD, but didn't want his movies released until a large enough customer base(1 Million players) was established.
Then I heard he wanted 2 million for his classics to be put out.
Well we're at about 3.75 million right now and with the Christmas season so close it's safe to assume that the 4 million mark will be broken before the end of the year.
Now I don't report that I even begin to understand the business of home video, with respect to the cost of production, time frame that a certain movie can be produced on DVD. (With only a few processing stations, scheduling has got to be tight) Or even what it takes to bring a movie of that time frame up to digital quality, so it can be produced to DVD. I don't know nor claim to even understand. I would love to learn.
But I'm sure that Mr. Spielberg does, or has people working for him who do. As far as DIVX goes, I can see someone of Spielberg's obvious business knowledge to sit back and wait to see which format would win out. It was obvious to us, sure, but we don't have millions, if not billions invested in it. I could get into why I was sure DIVX was going to fail from a business sense but now is not the time or the place.
I'll end this endless comment with this.
I firmly believe that the people behind the Indy trilogy are going to release the movies next year, and that decision was made in no small part due to all of us. They heard us, from the beginning. They know what we want, and I firmly believe they want to give it to us, but not until they are sure they won't get burned on a new format like they have so many times in the past. Yes I own a Beta, and Raiders on Beta. But Raiders has been out on 8mm video tape, and I believe CD-i, and CED as well. Well I'll end there. If anybody wants to continue this discussion, please feel free to email me. Micah, sorry for the long post.
By the way, The Mummy is a fun movie. Check it out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]