Oh, yea. I forgot that part...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on October 13, 1999 at 12:38:14:

In Reply to: Question for Patterson posted by Steve on October 13, 1999 at 11:50:17:

: I was wondering if you watched the hat shop trim down the sides of your Akubra? If so how did they do it, and how did they blend the 2 different radius'into one? Steve

First they used a brim cutter. It cuts a preset amount off of the entire brim. This took the whole thing down to 3 inches. Then came the fun part. Actually, when I asked if I could watch them do it, and why I wanted to, he insisted that I could watch him do one side, but that then he was going to make me dothe other.

First he snapped a chalk line across the brim at the base of the crown across the front and then the back. Then he took a piece of chalk and ran it along the edg of the sides from one of the snapped chalk lines to the other. This marked the area he was then going to remove. Then using a VERY sharp razor, he removed 1/8 inch from the brim using his thimb as a guide - i.e. just removing the chalk he had markedthe edge with. The transition areas at the beginning and end were just cleaned up a bit by sight. He did it so fast, I was a bit nervous. Actually, it was very easy.

Once trimmed, he took a towel and roughed-up the edges a bit to take the smooth cut edge off. This left the raw edge you normally see.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: