Wested Tidbits...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive8he.dialup.mindspring.com on October 14, 1999 at 12:37:17:

It's always enjoyable to talk with Peter Botwright from time to time and when I do, I like to ask about the history of that famous jacket. I just talked to him this morning and have some interesting bits of info to share that may clarify some old mysteries but bring up new ones...

I asked about the nickel/aluminum zippers. He said they were used because that's all that was available at the time. The costume dept. actually wanted antique brass and they even painted some of the zippers on the jackets in the films to look like it. He said they are very cheap and of poor quality.

I asked about whether different leather were used at all for different films, as it has been reported about the Last Crusade jacket. He said no. All the jackets used the same leather.

I asked about the press studs on the Last Crusade storm flap, whether they were supposed to be visible from the front or only on the inside (with the front covered by leather). He said they had a bit of a friendly internal ispute over this- he personally thought they should be covered but the woman who actually worked on the originals, I think her name is Dora or Doris, claims that they were indeed visible.

I would have like to know even more of the ridiculous nitpicky details, but he said it was hard to remember all the little details from so may years ago. I said it would be nice if you had an original jacket to copy or look at to compare- he said he used to have one lying around but he sold it to someone several years ago for the price of a regular jacket- not realizing what it was worth! He's still kicking himself over that one!

*He has also come across some high-quality cowhide which sounds very tempting to have a jacket made from.

And he is very grateful for the support we have shown him vs. some of the "impostors" out there. So keep wearing your Westeds!

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: