Re: Remy

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on May 24, 1998 at 11:30:25:

In Reply to: Remy posted by Matt on May 21, 1998 at 20:25:11:

: Forgive me for asking such a stupid question but wasn't
: Indy's friend Remy killed just before Indy was taken
: prisoner by the German's in the YIJC ? It seemed to me
: that he was (or was at least seriously wounded) but he's alive
: and well in what was Treasures of The Peacocks Eye...
: So he didnt die but was seriously wounded..(yes, I know I answered my own question) but am I the only one who
: thought that Remy died ? How old is Remy anyways ? Anyone
: know ? Would he be a good additon to Indy IV ? Assuming he's
: alive and well...and that the film goes into production before
: I turn 30....(I am 20) ? One last question is what are eveyone's thoughts about Remy ? Sorry for this posts length.

I always thought Remy an interesting character, and gave the young Indy balance through the turbulant times the found himself in, specifically the Mexican Revolution and WW I, but I personally thought that in the "Peacock" story, Remy's character ceased to be as important to the character of Indy, as Indy recognized that there were paths to follow regarding life and it's responsibilities. Remy seemed to choose the path of the "fortune and glory", retiring with found wealth. Indy, on the other hand, followed for quite a period of time, until he realized he must be true to his code that there was more to treasure hunting that instant wealth. In essence, we saw young Indy grow up, where Remy seems doomed to go the path of Belloq, history be darned, treasure and wealth's the thing! I feel Indy outgrew his dependence of Remy, and went back to college to pick up his responsibilities. Remy was extremely important in Indy's character development, and survival. I think Indy out grew Remy, and to see Remy in the future would probably be a bitter sweet experience for Indy if he found Remy still his old self, but still grabbing at the gold ring, continuing to miss, and growing more bitter as the years pass. What about Remy's wife and family? Do they still exist for him? I believe we saw the shadow of what would come at the end of "Peacock" between Indy and Remy on the beach. I don't see any good coming from that. I pesonally feel I would let Remy stay as a pleasant memory as one of his old friends, because I think Indy would be terribily disappointed to reconnect with Remy after he has obtained his degree and deeper understanding of his world, and we as the fans would not be happy with the results either. Yep, I'm speaking from personal experience here. I have had friends that I shared many "adventures" with in my youth, but I have no interest rekindling new connections after seeing what life has done to them and their earlier dreams. Life's sad at times. I think Remy should be left a good memory and move on. Just my opinion. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]