Re: Uh, not exactly

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on October 15, 1999 at 10:58:55:

In Reply to: Uh, not exactly posted by Michaelson on October 15, 1999 at 08:17:45:

: : : : *

: : : I've been partial to the cotton. It has been perfect for my part of the country, summer or winter, and has held up very well. Regards. Michaelson

: : Cotton would have been the orginal since satin wasent inveted yet, I like the cotton except it gets hung up on some shirt material.
: : gary

: Gary, I'm not sure I understand your statement. Satin has been around for centuries, but to bring it up to this conversation, I'm afraid it was indeed around for the time period that Raiders was set, as Navy pea coats were originally lined in satin. I know because I have my fathers, who served in the Navy during the war, and his coat was a 1930's issue. It is indeed lined with satin, which by the way is in decent shape, but has pulled out of the wool/cotton seam. That may be something else to consider after a period of time. Regards. Michaelson

I believe that before plastic-based fibers became widely available and affordable (mid-1920's?) there was a split between using silk and cotton. I asked Peter about using silk some time ago. He said it was possible, but not advisable, as the material is more difficult to work with and is not as forgiving as polyester satin. I've heard later recounts of other's conversations with him on the subject stating that he would not do it.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: