Re: Shadows

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson on December 05, 1997 at 10:52:04:

In Reply to: Shadows posted by Gene on December 05, 1997 at 04:54:15:

: Hey Guys,
: I love this site!!! While watching raiders last night for the umpteenth time, I noticed that Spielburg and Lucas use shadows really extensively in Raiders. For example, In the "chalkboard scene", You can see Jones, who is in his professor outfit, cast a shadow on the chalkboard that is kind of ominous as the arks power is being discussed. Later in Nepal, the famous " i always knew you walk through my door" shadow scene. I think this has a deeper meaning than just an allusion to film noir. What do you folks think?
: Later
: Gene

I believe his use of shadows and framing are fantastic. I believe the capture of the film noir, though strickly considered for black and white films, is probably what he was going after. I watch a lot of films on the American Movie Classics cable channel, and have recognized several scenes, or framing made back in the late 40's, the time of the film noir classics, that appear in Raiders. I believe the best shot scene in terms of craft is the scene at the old mans house concerning the staff of Ra where we see Indy framed by the door scrim, making the outline of the image on his face by the light, not the shadow. It happens one other time at Napal when he is leaving the bar, and we see his eye outlined the same way, by the door's scrim. Yes, the first movie was definately a craft of love of for a director making a tribute to the old action films. Then, that's my opinion. Any other? By the way, has anyone else noticed how badly our PC's keyboards spell? Can't be me! Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]